Pages

I walk on a road lush with dreams,
a road of forgotten and veiled dreams,
sometimes slowly, sometimes gaily,
sometimes lost, sometimes profound,
I walk a road of unknown mysteries,
fervently finding my way through the endless path.....

Monday, May 19, 2014

Honey Singh, please DON'T sing!

'Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything'.

When Plato said this about music, I am very sure that he would have ignored/excluded or maybe never heard of the 'rap music' specially those which are a fad now a days!

When I first heard a song by Honey Singh joyously being translated (since he generously tosses Punjabi lyrics in them) and appreciated by a friend of mine, a thought that ran instantly through me was - weren't the likes of 50- cents, Jay Z,Big daddy not enough to pollute the minds of youngsters and rob or rather rap(e) music of its melody and meaning that another one has been born?

Little did I know that three years down the line all I would get to hear on radio stations, college parties, marriage halls and from my younger brother are rape(d) songs of dearest 'yo yo'.
 From brown rang to blue eyes, from dope shope to 4 bottle Vodka this guy has left no stone unturned to clog the tender minds with his 'angreji beats and high heels'.

And what infuriates me the most is how these so called chart busters project the females. They are frequently labelled as bitches, bombs, sex objects, deceivers line after line in almost all his songs while the male counterpart is either as coy and innocent as a newly born child or a famous brat every girl should be familiar with and run behind.
In one of the songs he advices a girl to mix limca with her drink while in other he blames girl's high heels for all the durghatna (mishap) that happens between them.

The intensity with which these songs familiarize listeners with drugs, alcohol, sex, rape and abusive language is extremely alarming. And even more terrifying is the fact that most of the listeners lie between the age group of 10-20 years.
Imagine the kind of impact such kind of songs create on a tender boy of 10? No doubt the parents are worried and upset when they hear their bundle of joy singing songs like '4 bottal vodka kaam mera roz ka' or chanting raps with liberal use of vulgar remarks over women'.

Recently, when I expressed my desire to write on how these seemingly amusing and entertaining songs are contaminating the younger generation, my friend immediately retorted 'how could you dislike Honey singh and his songs? He is so amazing. I totally love all his songs'. On hearing such words from a girl whom I expected to me mature and a sensible citizen, I was completely taken aback.

How could she ignore the fact that her amazing Honey Singh was projecting girls like her as a sex symbol? Was she happy about being labelled as a bomb or a drug addict? Didn't calling her eyes, skin, heels, dress as an aphrodisiac and her as a slut offend her? Or maybe she was too engrossed in swaying and jumping on the beats to notice that she is being outrageously insulted?

Undoubtedly every song of Honey Singh is a hit right way because the ease with which teenagers pick it up and their catchy and foot tapping beats makes it viral among the masses. But not all that glitters is gold.
Just because a song or a singer can connect to the masses and make them feel liberated, it should not be blindly appreciated and enjoyed.
It is our duty to understand and differentiate between good and bad. Our reason gifted minds should be trained to adopt what is fruitful and reject the harmful. Even if it is a mere song! 

I am no one to force my opinions on anyone but for me, a song or singer who cannot respect me or any other woman and tries to hurl abuses at me directly or indirectly can't be called as amusing or amazing!

There is no dearth of constructive and positive entertainment around me. 
No dearth of melodious and peppy music
No dearth of songs that can lift up my spirits and create a sense of freedom within me.
And so there is no reason why I must chose to listen to you Mr. Honey Singh.


Honey Singh

http://blog.blogadda.com/media/2009/02/spicysaturday.jpg

9 comments:

  1. Sarah I am sailing iin the same boat- not able to understand why in the world people are appreciating his music- why there is no censor board cutting or may be curing his lyrics. I agree with you word by word- females are nothing for him but a sex object, with no respect! All his songs are more or less about same thing - booze, women and sex! Its a shameful how we are acknowledging and promoting such preposterous lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has been selected for the Spicy Saturday Picks this week. Thank You for an amazing post! Cheers! Keep Blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant write!! And I totally agree! From Lungy Dance, he has been a total shame!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These new age singers like Yo Yo or Mika are more of beat masters. The lyrics are bawdy and the singing devoid of soul. Sometimes I wonder who really likes such songs...Choti Dress Mein Bomb Lagdi... Trash.
    Good one Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a very nice article indeed! i was also planning to write something about him,this guy just sucks! and the more disturbing part is that the girls whom this yo yo projects as sex objects sway to his numbers with utmost ease!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aah so very true. I dislike honey singh too, due to the lyrics of his song. And yes once I was asked how can you dislike him too! I love that you've spoken your mind here! Cheers, keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! Another Honey Singh dislike.. I am so relieved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I instantly like the person who doesn't like Honey Singh and his songs! :P
    Nice article!
    Very catchy and straightforward title. :)

    Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you. This Honey sing is an insult to the word music..

    ReplyDelete